Friday, July 5, 2013

Father Caesar and the Introduction Ceremony

The future groom on the right hand, Kampala, Uganda
After a week I left Hassan and Munira and went to Kampala. Already my arrival in Kampala began in a great way. Father Caesar took me to an "Introduction ceremony". That was about 20 km before Kampala, the way, I came anyway. Road descriptions done by Africans can be rather adventurous - Father Caesar is no exception.... On the phone I have understood nothing at all (later I understood, why - this was because of the music at this ominous Introduction ceremony) and in his sums, there were the names of three cities on the way to Kampala... So, at which one was I supposed to leave the minibus?

Finally, a friendly African fellow, who sat next to me in the bus took over the phone and thus we could find out together where I should get out.... Like that it worked out - Father Caesar waited for me in the street. Because he is a rather tall man it was fairly easy to spot him....

Presents from all sides, Kampala, Uganda

Father Caesar I got to know seven years ago in Regensburg. At that time he was on the way to Cologne to meet the pope. With him were 12 former street children. On my last Africa trip four years ago we met in Kampala and together with some Italian scouts we did quite some travelling in Uganda. Now, it was time for another meeting.

And - "Introduction Ceremony" - this was something rather special.

At that ceremony, the future groom is introduced to family and friends. All that comes with a lot of music, dance, talking, presents, a gigantic cake and a very tasty dinner! All these came with plenty of photo possibilities....


 
The future bride, Kampala, Uganda