Tuesday, June 4, 2013

From Sudan to Ethiopia - paperwork paperwork paperwork....

10 years ago I was not only in Sudan, but also in Ethiopia. My initial foray into Ethiopia , did not start well. I was stuck at the border with Sudan in Metema. A very basic , town with mostly tree built structures.  At the time, it was very hard to find accomodation in Metema.  However - the "hotel" ,

However, no wonder, that this time, I wanted desperately to avoid this place. And it worked out! I spent the night before crossing the border in the next bigger city in Sudan and started early in the day. So, I arrived at the border already at 11.00am. The formalities at the border were rather irritating - in Sudan I had to see three different offices for getting stamps and papers. On Ethiopian side one I was photographed and fingerprints of all 10 fingers were taken. Hmmm - okay....
that I found, had at that time no glass in the window - at the same time, the manager keeped warning me from thieves coming through the window. Perfect! Also, there was  no bath and no toilet. I do not speak of a private ensuite. No - the whole hotel had no bathroom or toilet...

No comments: