Saturday, June 1, 2013

The pyramids of Meroe

Pyramids of Meroe, Sudan
After a few days in Khartoum I went to the east and to the coast. I wanted to visit the pyramids of Meroe. The pyramids are the tourist’s highlight of whole Sudan. If you visit only once place in Sudan, it's these pyramids. I was the only tourist there and there is no comparison with the pyramids of Giza in Egypt. I have to admit, that they are also smaller than the Egyptian ones. But they have more.  They have over 100 pyramids in just Meroe alone.  And there are other places with pyramids as well! They are covered with sand, partly broken, partly restored.  But they were beautiful, just the same.

Less nice was the bad sandstorm, which appeared just today. I do like sand between the toes very much, but not between teeth!  It was not all that great for the camera either.