Thursday, June 20, 2013

Addis Abeba and His Holiness

Addis Abeba, Ethiopia
Since some days, I am now in Addis Abeba, capital of Ethiopia. About 4 million people are living here. 
Here in Addis, I met Yusuf again, a friend from Mombasa, which I got to know 4 years ago at the beginning of the last Africa trip. Yusuf and his extended family hat a great influence on my travels through East Africa in 2009 and so I was very glad to meet him in Addis Abeba.
His Holiness arrival at Sheraton Hotel, Addis Abeba
His Holiness, Sheraton, Addis Abeba
Yusuf prepared everything there for the visit of his holiness. He is the leader of the community of  Bohras. His holiness lives in Bombay and it was the first time, he paid a visit to the small community of Bohras in Ethiopia.

For sure, everybody was very excited.
And I was right in the middle of things. The Holiness lodged in the Sheraton Hotel. And he was also very well guarded - police in front and behind the convoy, and all that, wherever he wanted to go....I was very astonished, when it turned out, that I was chosen by the 2nd man after his holiness to be the photographer of the day. This meant, I was with his holiness, when he met the son of the prime minister with family, I took photos, when presents were exchanged and nice chats were done. And I was also allowed to take photos of the ceremony in the evening including two weddings.

It is absolutely unusual, that foreign non-believers are present with such ceremonies, as a woman and on top with camera.... Probably not everybody liked the idea, but those, I got into contact with, were very charming, friendly people, who came all the way for this event from America, India, Yemen and Dubai!

A great experience!

Unfortunately, I had to promise that I do not publish the photos of the ceremony. For sure, I will stick to this promise!