Sunday, June 2, 2013

Port Sudan - finally at the red sea

All the locals warned me not to go to Port Sudan - this place in the summertime is even too hot for the Sudanese people! Hmmm - usually I take advice like this pretty seriously, but this time I didn’t.  I absolutely wanted to visit Suakin and this is only possible from Port Sudan.
Port Sudan, Sudan


The sandstorm apparently also had its good sides. Port Sudan was cool at the time I was visiting. There, it was only 35 degrees. All that came with a nice sea breeze. Just great. 

For two hours I searched for the Youth Hostel in Port Sudan. No one knew where it was and instead I was brought to 2 children's playgrounds because the locals thought this is what I was looking for. What I would do there with my backpack no one could really answer.

So I did what always works out, when nothing else works - I just went to a pharmacy to ask for help. People working in pharmacies are usually educated people and they speak English and can help.

Though "my" chemist also did not know where there was a youth hostel, he knew a nice hotel close to the market with a receptionist, who knew about 30 or 40 words in English. So it worked out fine.

However, this is not the first time that I am angry about the maps in my guidebook.  According to the map I was about 200 meters away from the Youth Hostel. So, I went 400 meters in all directions, thinking I would surely find it.  Grrrr.... This was not the case!

However, the climate in Port Sudan was pleasant and there was great food and many ice-cream parlors. Not unimportant - also at only 35 degrees.