Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Great Zimbabwe

Great Zimbabwe
Great Zimbabwe I always wanted to see - an ancient town. Partly on a mountain. Many gigantic rocks. The oldest parts date from the 11th century. In former times, this was the home of 18,000 people and it was the capital of the kingdom Zimbabwe.
It is simply great to walk around between the old stones. I was with a German family. The father has lived and worked in the 80s for five years in Zimbabwe. Of course he had a huge knowledge about country and people.
And about Great Zimbabwe.
 
 
 
 
The fact that the hotel was great, I have already mentioned. However, Robby - a man responsible for everything all around the house, the gardens and the guests. As I was there without a car, he was happy to drive me around - fetching me after my visit at Great Zimbabwe, making a half day trip to the dam or watching old rock paintings - Robby had great ideas over and over again. And I was very lucky to get a ride with him into town to catch my bus, as he had to do some shopping there anyway.  Thanks a lot to Robby, the approx. 65 or 70 year-old man for everything one needed. Robby with his great sense of humor, which made both of us laugh for hours more than just once! In many ways, he reminded me of my good old friend Rob in America. Same sort of humor, more or less same age, even the name is somehow similar....
 
Great Zimbabwe

Great Zimbabwe