Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Sidetrip to Namibia - to Monica and the kids from "Home of Good Hope" in Katutura

Home of Good Hope, Katutura, Namibia
Home of Good Hope, Katutura, Namibia
Even if I had achieved travel-technically my big aim, when I reached the southernmost tip of Africa - there was still something I desperately wanted to do: to visit Monica and the kids of "Home of Good Hope" in Katutura near Windhoek, Namibia. Actually, I have promised it and for sure, I wanted to go there. So, I put myself in a bus and have gone in 22 hours to Windhoek. It is 1500 kilometers, so, it takes quite a while!

Home of Good Hope, Katutura, Namibia
Four years ago, I spent two months in Namibia and half of this time I have spent in Windhoek. Again, I stayed at Chameleon Backpackers. The staff was still the same, and dog Blackie apparently still knew me. I got a place the same dormitory and on top the same bed like 2009....
The friends of that time for sure were not there anymore. Chameleon Backpackers still is, however, a drop-in center for young pilots in search for employment to get the necessary flying hours.





Home of Good Hope, Katutura, Namibia

Monica, Home of Good Hope, Katutura, Namibia
Home of Good Hope, Katutura, Namibia
However, I had 1 1/2 hours to take a shower, to have breakfast and to get ready. All that after 22 hours in the bus. Then Monica arrived - she is the lady running "Home of Good Hope". Here, lots of underprivileged children from township Katutura near Windhoek get a warm meal! In 2009, I helped out for some weeks! It was great to meet Monica again! For sure, we went right away to see the kids.  In 2009, around 200 children came each day to the soup kitchen - today, it´s up to 580!




Home of Good Hope, Katutura, Namibia

For sure, not all of them find immediately a place to sit down and eat. In the morning, there are the small kids and the ones, which attend school in the afternoon. From 12.30 pm, the soup kitchen becomes very busy, when school children flow out of all directions into the small hut. The queue sometimes is all the way to the street.

Long queus, Home of Good Hope, Katutura, Namibia
It was a great week with Monica and the kids. Singing, clapping, dancing, distributing food - all that with loads of children on the arm. Playing with the kids, making puzzles, being a doctor for the ones with cuts and burns, hugging and talking. One day, we wrote and painted nicely colored African checks for the donors as a thank you. Lots of things to take photos and videos. Each day was filled with all sorts of activities and each day, I was completely finished, when I came back to Chameleon around 4pm.




Monica’s son Peacemaker gave me a tour through the township. By myself, this would not be a good idea, also not with a camera and taking photos. But with Peacemaker joining me, it was no problem.

Home of Good Hope, Katutura, Namibia

Home of Good Hope, Katutura, Namibia

Home of Good Hope, Katutura, Namibia

Katutura, Namibia

No comments: