Thursday, September 19, 2013

Rain and storm in Cape Agulhas, South Africa

Countryside, close to Mossel Bay, South Africa
When doing a trip from Cairo to Capetown, the big aim is not only to reach Capetown. The thing behind it is a rip from north to south. It is logical, that I wanted to reach the most southern point of Africa.
This is against many opinions NOT the Cape of Good Hope, but Cape Agulhas, which is a lot more south than Cape of good hope. On a beautiful sunny day, I started to get these last few kilometers done. This festive mood of mine did not last for a long time. Pitch-black clouds rolled in. It became more and more windy, and then there was a storm. This storm more than once nearly blew me off the street. Then, the rain arrived! This rain was not pouring from up to down, but from the right to the left or from the front to the back however one wants to see...

The southern most point of Africa, Cape Agulhas, South Africa

Cape Agulhas is a tiny settlement of a few colored houses with white fences, two cafes, three pubs, a souvenir store and a lighthouse. And a lot of wind and rain. As it was clear, that the weather will not become any better, I got out of my car and walked the last 250 meters up to the point where the Atlantic meets the Pacific. The southernmost tip of Africa. With me, there was also a couple for South Africa with a huge, completely soaked dog. This was very good, as we could take photos of each other - completely wet and cold, as we were. So, it was done - rather unspectacular with wind and weather I have reached the end of my trip. I had travelled from the north of Africa till the most southern point of Africa.
I have reached it without any major problems, a lot of great experiences, even more lovely people, who helped me to make my trip that easy, interesting, safe and worthwhile as it was. The beautiful landscapes and the exciting experiences with all the wild animals.
For sure, my trip was not finished after reaching Cape Agulhas! My next aim was Hermanus. The weather was windy, cold and wet, but apparently whales like that kind of cold stormy days. In Hermanus bay, there were two whales, which played with each other for hours in the bay.

Coast, close to Hermanus, South Africa

Coast, close to Hermanus, South Africa