Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Hluhluwe-iMfolozi-Park, South Africa

Hluhluwe-iMfolozi-Park, South Africa
Hluhluwe-iMfolozi-Park, South Africa
From Kruger National Park it is quite far to the coast. But I liked to drive in South Africa. Driving there

My next aim was Hluhluwe iMfolozi National Park. The park is known for its rhinos. And I was not disappointed! 12 rhinos within one hour, four of them right next to the street. Well, these animals are really big; my car looked even smaller next to these huge animals. And I was alone with them. However, they were more interested in the grass just next to the road, and not in me or my tiny car...

This was quite an adventurous day - next adventure was with a big elephant! In the park, there are some small bridges over a river. Most of them are single-track. Not a big deal, because there are not that many cars driving around in the park. After crossing on of these bridges, I saw a huge elephant, which came out of the bush. I drove to the side of the track to let Mr. Elephant pass by. I thought that he probably wanted to go to the river to have some water there. However, this was not what he wanted. Instead, he came directly towards me and my car. Okay, I went backwards to give him even more space towards the river. But also this he did not want. Hmmm - Okay, backwards towards and on the bridge.... And the elephant behind! The elephant was not angry at me, but he was trotting just after me and my car on the bridge to the far end. Then, he disappeared in the bush. Apparently, he did not want to get wet feet in the river.... Well, probably, each of you will understand, that there is only one photo from all this...
is a lot more relaxed than in Germany - if you have a navigation system and you do not have to go through a big city. Moreover, there is always something interesting to see on the way. The scenery changes constantly, there are everywhere amusing street signs (attention potholes, reduce speed to 100kmh!!! - I drove 40 and had the feeling, that this is by far too fast and for sure, I was an annoyance for everyone else on the road), rather often, there are people or animals crossing the street, bicyclists using the freeway or bushfire right next to the street! Driving is definitely never boring in South Africa!
Hluhluwe-iMfolozi-Park, South Africa