Saturday, August 31, 2013

Welcome to Zimbabwe

Beira was the last town in Mozambique, I visited. Now, I made my way towards Zimbabwe. For quite some time, it was not clear, whether I can go there or not. One two weeks before, there were elections held in Zimbabwe. Well, elections and Africa - usually it is best to stay put at these times. Especially in Zimbabwe. Five years ago, there were big problems afterwards, with fights, riots and dead people on both sides of the two opponent parties. But this time, there was no problem - more than 60% of the votes for Mugabe. Many say a good fake by Mugabe, much better than only 50 plus percent, which would make the opposition claim, that this was not a proper election. Better having a fake with a huge amount of votes and no riots afterwards... Well, this was what a lot of people told me...
However, it was quiet enough to enter.
 
Ann and Emma, Ann Bruce Backpackers, Mutare, Zimbabwe
 
The fact that the Zimbabweans are especially friendly people, I heard already before, but it is different to experience it yourself. For example at the border. I just entered the country, have been maybe five meters inside, then this boy showed up, maybe 10 or 11 years old. The boy had a gigantic orange in his hand. He came to me, gave me the orange and said "Welcome to Zimbabwe". How great is this! And to say it right away - it just stayed like that! Wherever I went in Zimbabwe, locals were glad to see me, happy about the fact, that at least one tourist is there! There are really only a handful of tourists there, although it is not less safe than the neighboring countries, probably safer than quite a few parts of South Africa!
 
I always wanted to see Great Zimbabwe, the old capital. This is about 35 kilometers from Masvingo. Masvingo is easy to reach by public bus. But further on to Mutirikwi lake is difficult. In the bus, I got to know two nice local ladies, who offered me a seat in their husband's car to the village before Great Zimbabwe. Great!
Garden Norma Jean Hotel, Lake Mutirikwi, Zimbabwe
When the husband heard that, he did not like the idea at all, to drop me somewhere at the village - instead he took me all the way to the hotel, where I wanted to stay! This is more than 20 kilometers. One-way...
The hotel is situated on a hill overlooking the lake - and absolutely great location. Besides, it has a lovely garden, a nice restaurant and all sorts of accommodation, from camping till luxury chalet. And the staff was very nice! What does one need or want more?
 
Lake Mutirikwi, Zimbabwe