Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Temples and pyramids in Karima

Jebel Barkal, Karima, Sudan
Pyramids, Jebel Barkal, Karima, Sudan
The new tarred road along the Nile makes the trip in this area so much easier. Before, it took two or three days from Wadi Halfa to Khartoum. Now, it is only 10 hours in an air-conditioned coach.

Also travelling to Karima is no longer a problem - a brand new tarred road goes all the way through the middle of the desert.

In Karima I lived in the homestay of Ahmed Moussa. This is the only Homestay and this is much better than the other "Lokandas". Women are often not allowed to sleep in Lokandas - no wonder, usually; they have only one room containing between 10 to 20 beds. Well, this is not the place I want to be sleeping as well, especially not on my own!

The Homestay, I had for myself. There was one bed to relax in the heat of the day under a huge mango tree. And there was the friendly owner Ahmed, who got the ripe fruits for me from the tree and cooled them for some time in water, before he gave them to me.

And yes, it is hot - very hot. 45 degrees centigrade in the shade where there is no shade.... Nevertheless, I was very brave and visited pyramids, graves and temples of Jebel Barkal, El Kurru and Nuri. Best time for these things is in the morning or in the late afternoon.

Pyramids, Jebel Barkal, Karima, Sudan