Monday, May 6, 2013

Farafra and the white desert

Nevertheless, after three full days in this gigantic town it was a time for a new adventure. So, I went to the western desert.  I spent some days in the small village of Farafra in the middle of a nice oasis with a lot of shady palm trees. This was a picture book oasis, life with donkey carts, fresh fruit and vegetables, splashing water in irrigation channels and friendly people.
White Desert, Egypt

At the moment there are only a few tourists in Egypt. This for sure has something to do with the heat (40 degrees Celsius in May in the oases is not uncommon) and of course it has something to do with the revolution.  The revolution made many tourists cancel their trip to Egypt. This affects the whole tourism industry there - the camel drivers at the pyramids as well as the safari enterprises in the desert and the souvenir sellers in Luxor.  The horse carriage people, hotel owners and Felukka owners at the Nile. Everybody suffers from the fact that the tourists are missing. The fighting around the few tourists, who are there, is big.  However in Farafra I was the only tourist. I spent there three days!
White desert, Egypt

My aim was the white desert.  It is just 25 kilometers from Farafra.  I have been here before and I absolutely wanted to go back. In this desert there are a lot of white limestone rocks - and they rise in all possible formations from the yellowish sand. Every a more or less imaginative person sees all possible animals in this rock. Camels, ostriches and ducks, but also mushrooms and towers. Just great.
I was doing my desert tour with Hamdy, a safari enterpriser from Farafra. With us, there was a young man for cooking, building the camp etc.
The day in the white desert was simply great - of course also for taking photos. I had all time of the world, as we stayed overnight. So, I got good photos in the late afternoon, the sunset and the sunrise. I hope that I find a good and fast internet place here, and then I can load some photos. Most internet places are dreadfully slow and they cannot deal with a big amount of data. Then, the whole system might break down.
White desert, Egypt