Saturday, May 18, 2013

Stuck in Aswan

After four nights in Luxor I went by the train to Aswan. Here it is a lot quieter than in Luxor. But also more quiet than normal. Also in Aswan, there is a lack of tourists. Everywhere there are empty cruise ships.
Felucca, Aswan, Egypt
I planned 2 days for Aswan. But when travelling, things change often. Same thing happened here. For years the ferry towards Sudan was on Mondays. Now it was recently changed- for Sundays. Not a big deal, I arrived here on Friday. But the ticket sale was also earlier... And yes, of course, booked-up. First, I thought about the black market or simply get a ticket at the harbor on Sunday morning. But there were rumors, that about 70 people will do the same kind of thing...
Okay, no other choice - I will wait. At least, there is apparently an extra ferry leaving on Thursday. So, I will go today to get my ticket issued.

Well, this gives me a few more days in Egypt - there are worse things in the world. Abu Simbel is not far, or I can do a trip by Felukka, a traditional sailing boat on the Nile. It will definitely not be boring a single minute. Also, yesterday, moreover, I found a great guesthouse. It is located on the western
Nubain village, Aswan, Egypt
(quiet) side of Aswan. Clean, quiet rooms, with an absolutely charming Nubian host, in addition to a roofed terrace and great food. All that for a special price if I help him with his homepage. This is no joke. But among the blind people the one-eyed is quite obviously the king... And it is always good to know, that you need to press the save button before leaving the website...

Well, however - it really feels like holidays here. I do live in the middle of a nice Nubian village. In the mornings I hear the cocks, school children are leaving for school; women go shopping in the market, men sit together to drink some tea drink or smoke shisha....
Abu Simbel, Egypt