Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Going to Sudan... The crazy ferry to Wadi Halfa

Today is my last day in Sudan - a country, which I have travelled around 10 years ago, and which I liked a lot because of its super nice, welcoming and hospitable people. The good news is - it is still the same.
On the ferry to Sudan


Let’s start with the ferry journey from Egypt to the Sudan - it was just brilliant! Getting on the ferry was not that easy. For me as a single women, it would have been very difficult to enter, getting through all controls, buying small stamps, which needs to be glued on a special piece of paper, get it stamped and give it to someone else, who is collecting it once it is complete.

But I was lucky as I ran into a man from Aswan and he took great care of me. He told me not to take it personally, but he will take my hand so we can fight ourselves together through this crowd of people. Ah, okay.... So, we made our way - this huge, big man, his suitcase in his left hand, having me on his right with me having my big backpack on my shoulders and the small one on the front....
On the way to Wadi Halfa, Sudan


But it worked out.... Later, other tourists told me that they needed three hours to board the ferry. It took me only 35 minutes. Thanks to the man with his wide shoulders - Ahmed from Aswan.

Then I was seated in the 2nd Class area where I met a very nice family. It was there I spent the hot hours of the day. I got on board at 10.30 am, but that did not mean that the ferry would start right away.  Departure was around 4pm.

From then on it was really pleasant on the deck. At night time, I unrolled my sleeping mat and the sleeping bag. Sleeping under the stars on a ferry towards Sudan - just great!

In the morning at 6.00am we passed the temple of Abu Simbel. From the water the temple looks even more gigantic!

On arrival in Wadi Halfa, Sudan, everybody wanted to leave the ferry at the same time. Not just the four foreigners. We did our paperwork right on the ferry in the cafeteria of the first class passengers. It was very straight forward to get through the paperwork. The official even issued a travel permit. This saved a lot of time and we were able to run around in Khartoum until I reached the capital, which was also covered. Perfect! 
Cool boys on the ferry to Wadi Halfa