Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Back to Wawa - back to my good old friend Abdou Rabu

10 years ago I was travelling for the first time in Sudan - that time I came from Chad and crossed through Darfur. Two weeks later the border was closed due to Darfur crisis. At that time I travelled along the Nile and got stuck in a very tiny place called Wawa. It is right opposite a famous temple - Soleb.
Abdou Rabou, Wawa, Sudan


The temple is the best preserved in all Sudan. And in this tiny place I ran into very nice people - Abdou Rabou, his wife and the little child. I spent two days and two nights with them.  Before I left, I promised to send some of the photos – which I did. However, after four months the letter came back with a stamp "not deliverable".

Well I was trying to find this family again.... And that is what I did. And it worked out. Abdou Rabou still lives there and the rest of the family is in Dongola because there are secondary schools.

This was a great reunion! And of course a big surprise! Abdou Rabou closed his small shop in the middle of the village when the new tarred road was finished in 2009.
Traditional lokanda, Sudan
Instead he opened a "restaurant", a small store and a tearoom. "Restaurant" stands in quotation mark, because there was only one thing to get there - the national dish called fuul. Its brown beans, they are soaked for hours in water and then cooked in big pots. Fuul can taste very good if you mix it with tomatoes and cheese. It is not that nice with plenty of oil on it - and that's what was offered in his restaurant. Fuul like this is just eaten so as not to be hungry any more... 

Abdou Rabou invited me into his wonderful big house with a big inner courtyard. In the hot time of the year this is the best place to sleep, as the rooms are by far too hot. 


Temple of Soleb, Sudan