Monday, August 19, 2013

Travelling by bus in Mozambique - horrible departure times

In Mocimboa there Praia, there is not really much to see.
But, at least, I could organize my bus ticket to Pemba. Busses in Mozambique leave at absolutely crazy times - in the morning around 4am! These bad bus times are all over Mozambique. All busses drive off between 3 and 5 o'clock in the morning. Even, if the place is only 2 hours away... And once there, for sure, you cannot catch onward transport, as the bus to the next city already left as well. And there is only one - or if there are others, they leave all at the same time in the morning!
 
Bus in Mozambique
Taxis are expensive - 20 US for 4 kilometers.... So, I had to find a way to go from the campground to the bus station without paying a fortune. At 3.30am....
At the end, I went together with the Askari (night watchman) by bicycle to the bus.... At 3 o'clock we left (of course, after I had packed my tent and backpack - very nicely at night!), the Askari had my big backpack on his bike, I had the small one, and so we cycled on this sandy, potholed track four kilometers to the bus station. Later, it turned out, that there was no need to hurry that much. The bus did not leave till 5.00am!