Monday, August 12, 2013

The complete mess- Ubunto bus station, Dar es Salam

From Zanzibar, I went back to Dar es Salam by ferry. Full of impressions of the Muslim party of all parties which marks the end of the Ramadan. Four years ago, I also spent the end of the Ramadan in Zanzibar - but this time it was much bigger, a lot more people and even more fun than last time. Many Muslims from Kenya and Tanzania had specially come to the party to Zanzibar, so there were many local tourists. Of course, also many, who have family on the island and came for visit.
 
Dar es Salam, Tansania
Hector, the friend of Yusuf, from the Philippines fetched me at the ferry and took me to his home. It was again a Sunday, so there was again a small Philippine party with fish soup, Sushi & Co.
In the afternoon, I went with the maid Happiness (it is really her name!!!) to the bus station to get a bus ticket for tomorrow. Just by myself, I would have been lost there. Ubuntu bus station is just a mess. This bus station is gigantic - everywhere travelers, self-appointed guides, taxi drivers, shop assistants of all sorts and other dubious characters, who only want to "help". All nonsense.
It was difficult enough to find the right office for the bus to Mtwara, even with Happiness. Of course the ticket seller was not amused, when Happiness explained him that there is no tourist tax on coach tickets and he should not tell such nonsense.
So I got my ticket for exact the same price like everybody else...