Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Visa shopping and crazy embassadors

Libreville, Gabon
Libreville, Gabon
The first full day in Libreville I spent with organizing the visas for Cameroon and Nigeria. For Cameroon was absolutely unproblematic and done within 1.5 hours. For Nigeria was a little more difficult. First I had to wait quite long because Madame secretary had to eat her lunch just at that moment – about 20 people waited patiently, until she finished. Everybody knew, that this lady is the important one for getting the visa. So, whether one is angry or not, you have to remain quiet and polite, otherwise you already failed before you get to see the ambassador himself…. The ambassador wanted to see a letter of invitation, which I could not present, of course. Where should something like this come from, the few Nigerians from Regensburg I know, might be better not to mention at all… In any case, I tried to convince him, that I work in tourism and I try to get into contact with other agencies in Nigeria to bring finally the amount of tourists into Nigeria, which this beautiful country deserves…. He apparently liked the answer, in any case, I was allowed to fill my request form, deliver two photos and pay the enormous sum of 50,000 CFA, about 75 euros. Whether the ambassador is known for being eccentric or not, I do not know, but up to now I never had to paint a colorful map with my travel itinerary for a visa. But well, there is a first time for everything. So I copied a map from Lonely Planet, bought some nice pens in four colors and started to paint. Actually, I wanted to travel around only the northern part of Nigeria, but as the ambassador was from the south, I had to plan the itinerary in such a way, that his regions are also represented. Proudly I presented in the afternoon my work, which was fixed to the other documents. The next day, I went back as told at 12.00 o'clock. And there was a wonderful, richly colored visa in my passport, and there was an ambassador really proud of his work of the day… As I was into organizing visas now, I just continued and went also to the embassy of Benin.