Sunday, February 28, 2010

ATM is eating my creditcard!

Libreville, Gabon
Libreville, Gabon
My domicile here in Libreville is called Maison Liebermann. Behind that is the organization of Christian women, however, they also offer rooms to tourists. So far, in these places of the church I was never questioned about my religion, but as my parents gave me two names (Andrea Maria), maybe this comes in convenient for those Christian places and stops them from asking the obvious…. The first afternoon in Libreville I spent with the attempt to withdraw money out of one of all these ATMs in town – just to come back to the normal procedure changing cash with a Lebanese around the corner, after the ATM has eaten twice my Visa card. It is not exactly a pleasant to see the Visacard entering the machine, but not coming out again! Now, I know, all this happened, because my bank issued a new card against all promises during my travels, which is now very safe back home in Germany – the old one was invalid then. It is quite astonishing, as exactly the same thing happened on my last Africatrip in 2002, just with another bank…..