Monday, June 15, 2009

Mombasa, Malindi, Lamu and more

I just started my Africa trip this week in Mombasa, Kenya. I had a good time so far in bumping into the right people in the right time.


Yusuf
First, I bumped into this local man and his family. I had a great time in Mombasa and got to know many things about life here. Yusuf is a kind of freelancer, trading everything except of women and drugs. At least, that’s what he is saying.
Athman
After 3 days in Mombasa, I went to Malindi to visit Athman, a friend of Yusufs brother. I stayed there with the family and again, we had a great time. I spent quite some hours with Rahima, Athmans wife, in her shop, talking to her and her girl friends passing by. We had quite one or the other interesting discussion. It was a very good experience to stay with a family, thanks a lot for all your hospitality and friendship.


Also, there are a lot of things to see around Malindi like Gede Ruins, which are a couple of hundred years old. They are in the middle of a big forest with huge trees.

Lamu
Shela Beach
After that, I went to Lamu. I have been to Lamu 20 years ago and I loved it. It is amazing, but it did not change much. There are now 4 cars on the island instead of 3 twenty years back. Some more hotels and restaurants, some more touts maybe. The rest is the same. The old buildings, the narrow streets, the friendly locals – like paradise.
I did 2 trips on a local sailing boat, a Dhow. We had grilled fish on the beach, visited several small villages and Takwa ruins, an old Swahili settlement. For sure, there is also the beach, the tasty fish and other seafood.
Now, I am back in Mombasa. I spent my birthday here with Yusuf and his family. Got quite some presents, which are thankfully easy to carry around.
Well, next destination is Nairobi, hopefully Masai Mara, and then Rift Valley.
I am also very happy to receive mails!